Friday, October 7, 2011

Planet Dinosaur

I've been watching this excellent series about these amazing long dead creatures which have fascinated me since I was a child. Certainly our knowledge of these creatures has increased substantially since then. We no longer necessarily think of huge, slow moving, long necked, long tailed creatures wading through swamps but know now that many of these creatures were not large at all and were much more similar to birds than reptiles. The episode about the 'dino-birds' was particularly fascinating in this regard.
I know some of my Christian friends and readers may have difficulties with some aspects of this interesting topic as it does raise some awkward questions particularly to those who take the Bible's story of creation very literally but I still find this topic fascinating as an expression of an eternal God at work in the world.
Finally I find it a little hard to believe in 'young earth' theories as an interpretation of Genesis given the length of time it has taken for the light from the nearest star to reach us. After all ''a thousand ages in Thy sight are but an evening gone''.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Not about politics Mike and another blog within a couple of days! Impressed?!

duopastorale said...

Yes very impressed. Not really qualified to comment on dinosaurs but I'm sure Genesis wasn't written as a scientific history book. The dinosaur issue is often used as a red herring when we need to see the real message of the Bible.