Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Men and flowers

Yesterday I had occasion to remonstrate with four boys who were larking around in the private area behind our flats. I opened the kitchenette window and leaned out to speak to them. One of the boys who appeared to be the ring leader sniggered when he noticed a small bunch of yellow carnations standing on the window sill. Clearly it was not something he expected to see on the window sill of a man's flat. Why, one wonders, is it considered so unmanly for men to appreciate the beauty of flowers, at least in this part of the world? Perhaps someone out there reading this might be able to comment!

3 comments:

duopastorale said...

Did he make comment on it? I have often had people express surprise when noticing flowers in my house. Funny, when you think that it's acceptable for men to garden and nurture them in the first place. Wonder what Alan T thinks?

Wanda said...

You keep those flowers Steve...
I think it's very manly, and that would be an attractive thing for me to see in a man.

I have a motto.... I've had it for years:
"I buy flowers, and if there is any money left, I paid the rent and bills." And you know what, my rent has never been late, and I have paid all the bills and put food in the frig.... So keep those flowers!!!!

Wanda

Suz. said...

Steve, glad to see you've got two posts for 2009. You're making up for lost time in 2008!

I encourage you to keep blogging, also. What do you like most about flowers and gardening?